Hotel VielHarmonie: Bachstraße 14, 07743 Jena, Visit Website
Markthotel Jena: Rathausgasse 2, 07743 Jena, Visit Website
Scala: Leutragraben 1, 07743 Jena, Visit Website
Hotel Rasenmühle: Burgauer Weg 1a, 07745 Jena, Visit Website
Hotel Jembo Park: Rudolstädter Straße 93, 07745 Jena, Visit Website
see also ‘Unterkünfte in Jena’ (German)
The Botanischer Garten Jena (4.5 hectares) is the second oldest botanical garden in Germany, maintained by the University of Jena and located at Fürstengraben 26, Jena, Thuringia, Germany.
The garden contains about 12,000 plants. Its outdoor areas include an arboretum containing about 900 species of deciduous and coniferous trees and shrubs; an alpine garden representing approximately 2,500 species; a systematic garden organized by contemporary taxonomy; a collection of medicinal and useful plants; a small hill and pond; and a collection of rhododendrons, roses, and dahlias. Its five greenhouses are as follows: cactus and succulent house; cold house for the transitional zone between tropics and subtropics; palm and tropical house; “evolution” house with ancient plant forms including cycads and tree ferns; and a tropical aquatic house which contains Victoria cruziana, mangroves, epiphytes, etc.
Schiller Gartenhaus is one of only two surviving homes of Friedrich Schiller in Jena, where he lived with his family in the summers of 1797-1799. (The other is the house in Zwätzengasse.) Here are some of his most important works, such as parts of Wallenstein and Maria Stuart, as well as numerous ballads. In 1799 Schiller moved with his family to Weimar, but gave up the Jenaer Gartenhaus until 1801 finally. The house is now owned by the Friedrich Schiller University, which maintains a museum and a discourse with numerous forms of events.
Südbad, the natural bath in the heart of Jena. Not far from the bustle of the city Jena lies the Südbad, popularly also called “Schleichersee”. The charming naturalness of this bathing gem quickly let you forget the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The 3.8-hectare lake with its idyllic sandy beach is very popular among friends of natural swimming pleasure. The Schleichersee with the idyllic sandy beach is especially popular among friends of natural swimming pleasure.
Jenaer Paradies is located in city center, as the largest nature park in Jena, always welcome for family and young people. It is surrounding by different children playground and a wide range of cafe and restaurants.
Today’s Intershop Tower is not only one of the most modern office towers in Germany after its first comprehensive refurbishment. With its politically motivated emergence in the city of the first German skyscraper and a now more than 30-year history, he is also historically interesting and historically.
The architect of the tower was Hermann Henselmann, one of the most famous architects of the former German Democratic Republic. The idea of a monolithic tower as an “urban crown” was developed by Bruno Taut, who was city architect in Magdeburg in the 1920s.
The Zeiss-Planetarium in Jena, Germany is the oldest continuously operating planetarium in the world. It was opened on July 18, 1926. The Zeiss-Planetarium is a projection planetarium. The planets and fixed stars are projected onto the inner surface of a white cupola. The Zeiss-Planetarium is owned and operated by the Ernst-Abbe-Stiftung. It was engineered by German engineer Walther Bauersfeld.
The university was established in 1558 and is counted among the ten oldest universities in Germany. It is affiliated with six Nobel Prize winners, most recently in 2000 when Jena graduate Herbert Kroemer won the Nobel Prize for physics. It was renamed after the poet Friedrich Schiller who was teaching as professor of philosophy when Jena attracted some of the most influential minds at the turn of the 19th century.
One of the oldest town halls in Germany and witness to the historical change in Jena. Admire the astronomical clock from the 15th century and “Schnapphans” (snatching Hans), one of the “Seven Wonders” of Jena. The two-story double house, which is characterised by its Baroque half-timbered tower and pointed hipped roofs, was mentioned for the first time in 1365 and is one of the oldest maintained town hall buildings in Germany. Over the centuries the building has been subjected to many alterations and reconstructions and is witness to the historical change and the constant progress in the beautiful city on the River Saale. After the original construction was rebuilt around 1377, taking the preceding structures into account, butchers, bakers and merchants sold their goods in the four-aisled hall on the ground floor of the historic building. The historic hall construction can still be viewed today during a visit to the Jena inn “Ratszeise”. On the top floor there is the town hall anteroom with a wooden ceiling which has been painted several times over the centuries. The current decoration is from the early 20th century. The Baroque, eight-sided tower, between the steep hipped roofs, was constructed in 1755 and bears the most famous decorative item of the Jena town hall, the decorative clock which includes the “Schnapphans” (snatching Hans) as a main figure. The bust made from coloured oak was completed around 1500 and has been snatching in vain for a golden ball at each stroke of the bell every hour on the hour ever since.
Throughout the city.
A stolperstein is a concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution. More than 40 stolperstein are located in Jena as part of the art project by Gunter Demnig.
The Grüne Tanne is a historical Gasthaus by the Camsdorf Bridge in Jena. The Gasthaus has always been a popular destination for excursions by students of the University of Jena, since it was outside the city limits until 1909 and therefore free from the jurisdiction of the university. In 1815 the Urburschschaft was established here. During his residence in Jena from 1817 to 1818, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stayed on the top floor of the Grüne Tanne. In the early twentieth century, it a meeting places for trade unions and social democrats. Since the incorporation of Wenigenjena and Camsdorf in 1909, the Grüne Tanne is contained within the urban area of Jena.
In all circles Jenas the Gasthof zur Papiermühle is known as a home-style house. The magnificent coffee garden, overshadowed by the centuries-old linden, is a popular destination for walkers. ” So it is said around 1930, when the tram still drove to the Mühltal, in an ad in issue 3 of the “Contributions to the History of the City of Jena”. Trainee Gerhard Buchmann collected comprehensive information at that time and wrote down the “six hundred year old mill history” on 30 pages. At this point an excerpt in own words.
The Ernst Abbe Memorial is a memorial hall for physics professor and social reformer Ernst Abbe in Jena. A memorial stone for Abbe is located at Fürstengraben 23 in front of the Old University ; he goes back to a monument to the teacher Wilhelm Rein . On the occasion of the 70th anniversary of Abbe’s death, the boy figure requisitioned during the Second World War was replaced by a design by Karl Sommerer; the rededicated monument was inaugurated in 1977. At the behest of Eugen Diederichs the “Abbe Temple” was built in the years 1908-1911 as an octagonal central building made of limestone with four portals and a dome light in reinforced concrete . The monument is considered a monumental Gesamtkunstwerk of European rank. It is located directly on the site Abbe on the Carl-Zeiss-Platz opposite the Optical Museum Jena .
The Jenaer Bismarckturm stands on the summit of the 328 meter high Tatzend. It was built in 1909 on the initiative of the Jena students in honor of Bismarck and commemorates the visit of Bismarck in 1892 in Jena. The first ideas for the construction of a Bismarck tower were already in 1899, the plan was officially proposed on February 20, 1905. The students were supported by well-known citizens of Jena such as the zoologist Ernst Haeckel and the publisher Gustav Neuenhahn . It formed a committee chaired by Lord Mayor Gottlieb Heinrich Singer . Large parts of the student body, but also associations and individuals contributed donations to the construction costs of 43,000 marks. The tower was designed by architect Wilhelm Kreis , who is responsible for more than 50 Bismarck towers. Kreis won in 1899 with his design Götterdämmerung a proclaimed by the German student body competition, in which the ideal embodiment of a Bismarckturms should be found. This draft was implemented a total of 47 times, including in the Thuringian cities of Gera and Eisenach . In Jena, however, the city decided against this design and commissioned Kreis to design its own tower for Jena. The construction was carried out by city construction director Bandtlow. The foundation stone was laid on May 10, 1906, three years later on July 5, 1909, the tower was inaugurated. He replaced the previous building, an artificial tower ruin called Malakoff.
The Jena Erlkönig is a monument in Jena. It stands on the way from Wenigenjena to Kunitz in the Saaleaue in front of a rock face and reminds of the ballade by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe . Originally executed by Theodor Wolff as a wooden sculpture, the statue was replaced in 1891 on behalf of the owner of Schloss Thalstein , Wolf von Tümpling , by a stone figure of Otto Späte. It is a mighty, larger than life figure of the Erlkönigs, who, as an old man with a long beard and robe, extends his hand over a pond below him. Actually, the statue carries a sword in his right hand, this was in the context of the recent refurbishment also attached again, but it has unknown people removed or destroyed. According to a legend, Goethe is said to have learned the story of the Erlkönig from a farmer in the inn ” Grüne Tanne ” and to have written it in a poem. The location of the ballad should be identical with the location of the monument; the landscape on the spot with its trees and the fog, which is common on all flood plains , should be recognizable in the poem. Another, now refuted legend tells of a ride of Goethe from Jena to Dornburg and the inspiration of the poet through the ascending hall fog.
The Ernst-Haeckel-Haus is one of the oldest History of Science Institutes in Germany and through its collections which are used by national and nonintentional scientists has established an independent and internationally recognized profile since the 1920s. The Biologist Ernst Haeckel is an integral part of the university’s memory culture through the Ernst-Haeckel-Haus und dem Phyletischen Museum which he initiated. The collections contain around 40,000 letters, 400 manuscripts and notebooks and approximately 1500 Photographs. Also curated is Ernst Haeckel’s artistic estate, encompassing 800 watercolors and 20 paintings. The collection is further enriched by some of his private possessions. The extensive collections are used intensely in the area of Education (paleography and archival science) and also in the area of research of the institute (historical science, university and biology historical research).
J. W. Goethe spent over 5 years in Jena, adding up all of the months, weeks and days. He mainly lived in Jena Castle and later in the “Grüne Tanne” inn and between 1817 and 1822 he lived in the inspector’s house of the Botanical Garden, his “retreat on the mountains of flowers and plants.” There is a ginkgo tree which is over 200 years old in front of the inspector’s house.
Friedrich Schiller’s Garden House, the Jena home of one of Germany’s most prominent poets and thinkers. The summer house is the only remaining domicile of Schiller’s years in Jena. Ten years of his life he spent in our city, a period that can easily be considered to have been the most prolific in his entire professional life, encompassing the diverse tasks of a poet, a philosopher, a historian and a university professor. In 1789 Schiller gave his famous Inaugural Lecture What is and to what end does one study universal history? In the following he took up his official academic duties: a post that brought prestige but little pay. In March 1797 Schiller purchased his Garden House. He suffered from lung disease and had been looking for a place outside the town. He and his family used the Garden house as a summer residence in the three years that followed. Together with his wife Charlotte, their two little sons, and three servants, they spent the summer months at this site. During this time Schiller wrote poems and dramas here, major parts of the Wallenstein drama as well as the beginning and the end of Maria Stuart.
The Optical Museum Jena is a scientific-technological museum. The Optical Museum Jena shows optical instruments from eight centuries. It gives a technical and cultural-historical survey of the development of optical instruments. The development of the city Jena to the centre of the optical industries since the mid-19th-century is integrated in the exhibition, connected with the lifeworks of Ernst Abbe, Carl Zeiss and Otto Schott. In cooperation with the art club Jena non-optical themes are offered in special exhibitions. Before the opening of the Zeiss Museum of Optics in Oberkochen in 2014, the Optical Museum Jena was the only museum of its kind in Germany.
The Phyletic Museum is a museum of phylogeny in Jena founded by Ernst Haeckel. It should not just be a natural history museum from the beginning, but it should convey the development of life. To this day, the depiction of phylogenesis (tribal history) and evolutionary theory together with the encounter between art and nature is the main concern of the Phyletic Museum. Today the museum is part of the Institute of Special Zoology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Jena. It houses extensive zoological – paleontological collections of over 500,000 pieces. The history of the collection dates back to the 18th century. There are still original pieces from the time when Goethe was head of the anatomical-zoological collection. The museum’s collections serve as the basis for the Institute’s research, including the anatomy of dogs and other mammals, morphology, phylogeny and insect biodiversity. The Phyletic Museum counts over 300 school classes and 20,000 visitors annually. The permanent exhibition includes the evolutionary hall (including pigeons, AIDS, cichlids, ontogenesis of amphibians) as well as several halls of the phylogeny of multicellular animals including humans. Since the mid-1990s, so far about 25 special exhibitions have been presented. Topics included ‘domestication’, ‘diatoms – sense of form’, ‘the smaller majority – photos of Pjotr Naskrecki’, ‘insects & sex’. The special exhibition running until the beginning of October 2013 shows ‘ Biological Invasions ‘.
The City Museum, often called in Jena “Göhre” is set in a late-Gothic building on the north side of the market. The name comes from Paul Göhre, who bought the house in 1883 and operated a wine trade and wine restaurant here, back. Since 1988, in the old part of the “Göhre” are shown exhibitions Jena city’s history. With its valuable stocks for the region’s history is a place for the discussion of urban society with itself, it enriches this discourse particular historical aspects.
The Protestant town church of St. Michael in Jena has been the center of ecclesiastical life in the city for more than 750 years ( Parochial Church). Regularly invited here to worship services – usually on Sundays 10 clock and 18 clock – at times of prayer and silence as well as church music events. In the city center, it shapes the cityscape. The town church had two Romanesque predecessors. One of these belonged to the Cistercian monastery , which joined north. Excavation finds indicate a sacred building in the 12th century. Remains can be seen in the crypt under the choir. The construction of today’s hall church was built in 1380 – after completion of the Jena Town Hall – in several stages of construction.
The Schiller Church “Our Lady” is a church building in the Jena district Wenigenjena (Jena East). Here on February 22, 1790 Friedrich Schiller and Charlotte von Lengefeld were married. The interior of the church is kept simple. In the nave is a two-story gallery (some still from the 18th century). The organ was built in 1971 by the “organ builder Rudolf Böhm ” ( Gotha ) and re-consecrated in 1997 after extensive renovation. In the sanctuary there is a late gothic sacrament shrine (Chornordwand) and a commemorative plaque to commemorate the wedding of Friedrich Schiller.
Holzmarkt & Wagnergasse
see also ‘Jena Tourism’
The nearest airport to Jena is Leipzig/Halle (LEJ), but for most international connections, Berlin (Schönefeld: SXF or Tegel: TXL), Munich (MUC) or Frankfurt/Main (FRA) are most suitable.
Please consult the German railway to find a connection to Jena (Deutsche Bahn). If you arrive from Frankfurt or Dresden, your destination will be Jena West. If you arrive from Berlin, Leipzig or Munich, your destination will be Jena Paradies. From either station it takes a taxi about 5 to 10 minutes to reach the conference venue. Both stations are also within easy walking distance:
If you arrive by car, it is easiest to park in the garage of the shopping center Goethe-Galerie or on the parking ground Eichplatz. Here is a link to Google Maps that explains how to get from these parking places to the conference venue.
For VISA information please refer to the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. It provides a list of countries whose citizens require VISA to enter Germany, VISA regulations as well as information about the German mission responsible for your place of residence.
We can provide a letter of confirmation on the acceptance of your contribution to be presented at the ICEI2018 or on your registration for the conference. In case of need do not hesitate to contact us. Be aware that we can only issue such letters electronically (.pdf) and that it may take some days before you will receive the letter.